Monday, December 12, 2011

Difference between current balance and available balance?

It says my current checking balance is $407.41 and my current available checking balance is -$91.37. I'm confused. Can I order something online or not?


And most of my money is in my savings. Can someone explain that to me too?


Sorry, I'm a newb. :x Thank you.|||When you're asking about your checking account you're asking about your checking account and since it has nothing to do with your savings account we can't respond to that.





I've called SunTrust at least a dozen times to tell them that current and available stuff confuses people (it confuses me too) but they say that some people like that. The AVAILABLE amount is the amount you're interested in. I figured out that when they tell you the lower figure that means the amount you can spend BUT only if it's a PLUS.





You have a MINUS in front of the $91.37 so to me that means you're overdrawn i your checking account so no you cannot use your debit card to buy anything online. I suggest that when you call the bank again press the zero or the number for a support person and they can tell you if you are overdrawn or not. If you are then first thing Monday morning or if you can use the ATM then transfer money from your savings account to your checking account to cover the overdraft.





If you've had an account with your bank for a long time and you are overdrafting your checking account they might suggest to you to get the credit card associated with their bank to stop the overdraft fees since they charge heftily for that. On the other hand the interest in that credit card over time will add up as well, so the best thing you can do is learn to budget.|||You have pending deposits that haven't been posted yet. When all deposits and debits have been posted, your current balance and your available balance will be equal. Your available balance at this point -$91.37 indicates you have seriously overdrawn your bank account. Your savings account balance is separate from your checking account balance.





My bank calls them "Pending Transactions" and "Available Balance". The pending transactions are transactions (deposits and debits) that the bank knows about but hasn't verified or posted the amounts. Example: If I put an empty envelope in the ATM and enter a $10,000 deposit, my pending transactions will indicate a $10,000 deposit, but I can't use the money until the bank posts the check. Since the check doesn't exist, that pending deposit will disappear.|||It could also mean that you have some outstanding charges pending that have not yet cleared your account. You will not be able to order something online because your card goes off your available balance and you have no funds available. Transfer some money from savings.|||It means that your balance is there, but a recent deposit you made has not cleared yet. All banks policies are different on availability, so contact your bank before you use your card.

No comments:

Post a Comment